The Post-Vietnam Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program, or “VEAP” for short, is an education benefit for veterans who paid into VEAP while they were in the service. Eligible veterans may be entitled to as much as 36 months of training. Eligibility usually ends 10 years after getting out of the service, but the time limit can be longer in some cases. Eligible veterans may pursue any of the following types of training:
- College or University Programs
- Business, Technical or Vocational Training
- Apprenticeship/On-the-Job Training
- Correspondence Courses
- Flight Training
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Who is Eligible?
You may be eligible if:
- You were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable AND
- You first entered active duty after December 31. 1976, and July 1, 1985, AND
- You contributed to VEAP before April 1, 1987 AND
- You served long enough to qualify
How to apply
You can apply for VEAP by filling our VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits.